Cashew Mayonnaise is a low histamine alternative to mayonnaise. It is so delicious and creamy, that not only does it do the job of mayonnaise, but even if I could eat mayonnaise I would choose Cashew Mayonnaise.
The secret ingredient in Cashew Mayonnaise is of course raw cashews. Raw cashews are the lowest nut in amines and histamines and in the absence of a nut allergy or oxalate intolerance or copper issues is reliably tolerated whereas other nuts are often problematic.
Raw cashews are also mildly anti-inflammatory due to their high oleic fatty acid and mineral content. Oleic acid (also found in olive oil) has a solid body of research as a healthy cardiovascular fat. The inclusion of moderate fat in a diet also helps curb hunger making it a good calorie investment.
Raw cashews have a creamy consistency, without a strong flavour or colour, making it the perfect blank canvas.
Cashew Mayonnaise can be dressed up to complement either a savoury or a sweet dish. Turmeric, ginger, garlic, parsley, or any other herb can be added for a savoury sauce.
Vegetables especially butternut squash can be added in equal quantities for a delicious pasta sauce. Even fruit (as a substitute for the oil in this recipe) can be added to make a delicious cream sauce for a fruit based dessert.
It is so versatile that I make it in big quantities and freeze it for spur of the moment use.
It is possible to reduce the fat content in this recipe by omitting the oil and substituting water. I prefer, however, to use the oil as it accentuates the creaminess of the cashews.
Rather than drenching salads in mayonnaise I prefer to use Cashew Mayonnaise as a condiment and drizzle it on my salads.
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (or Raw Macadamias)
- ¼ cup Macadamia Oil (or Olive Oil)
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice (if tolerated) or Water
- ½ cup Water
- 1-2 teaspoon Active Honey (to taste)
- 1-2 pinch Sea Salt (to taste)
- Soak the raw cashews in water for 1 - 2 hours, then discard the water.
- Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust salt and honey to the taste.
- Adjust water (if needed) to the consistency required.
- Can be frozen in portions (although do not microwave to defrost).