My role is to support you to adopt a self-care model. I see my role as your educator, confidant, cheerleader, advocate, and loving observer.
In our work together we will focus on:
1. Creating a Healing Environment: You will not get well in the same environment you got sick in. We will together focus on creating an environment for healing including nutrition, sleep and rest, exercise, stress reduction, and mindset.
2. Removing any Blocking Factors: The body is designed to work in homeostasis. We will use lab tests to identify any factors that are blocking your body from functioning optimally.
3. Restoring Balancing: We will also provide your whole body with the support it needs to restore balance. This means that we will not just work on one system but we will support the whole body.
I have a standard process that I undertake with all clients.
- Initial Consultation: In this appointment (prior to accepting you as a client) I answer general questions about who I am, what I offer, and if I think my services might be right for you, but cannot answer specific questions relating to lab tests you have done or provide specific recommendations regarding your health concerns. The purpose of this consultation is to determine whether we are a good fit.
- Comprehensive Health Review: In this comprehensive consultation, we will run through a comprehensive health history, and agree on the lab tests most relevant to you based on your bio-individual health circumstances. We will also agree on some initial steps whilst waiting for lab results.
- Lab Tests: I then assist you to obtain laboratory tests to identify opportunities for you to improve your own health. Your doctor may use test results to diagnose and treat disease but I do not provide a medical interpretation of those results.
- Results Session: Our results session includes detailed education around lab results and detailed recommendations around diet, sleep, exercise, stress management, and targeted supplementation. My aim in this session is to educate you on your body and give you a “user’s” manual to take control of your own health and happiness.
- Re-run Lab Tests: Once we have completed the recommendations, or at certain pre-agreed intervals, we will re-run some tests to ensure that the interventions have been successful or adjust our approach. This is a crucial step that is often overlooked.
My aim at the conclusion of our time together is for you to have a full plan for optimising your health. After the conclusion of our time together you are welcome to purchase individual sessions.
My services include my time. Any laboratory costs or protocol recommendations are additional to my costs.
Each client has his or her own unique path to healing.
This means that my services are also highly customized. In addition to our time together, I spend a significant amount of time (typically an additional 1 – 2 hours) outside of sessions on your case.
My costs are outlined in Work With Me page.
In addition to my costs, there are a number of other costs that need to be considered.
Costs vary from individual to individual. However, in general, the basic costs associated with my services are:
• Basic Lab tests - US$1,000 over a three-month period.
• Supplements – cost from US$150 - $400 per month.
If your condition is chronic then additional lab tests may be required above the basic tests.
I can work with you based on your budget and take more of a minimalist approach if need be.
The success of your protocol depends on current high-quality lab tests.
I am not able to use lab tests where they are:
- More than 3 months old,
- Performed using an inferior testing method, or
- Do not cover all the areas required.
If you just want a second opinion on another practitioner’s lab tests I provide a Comprehensive History Review in which I can review up to 5 lab tests.
If you just want advice on how to change your diet I do offer dietary consultations that do not involve lab testing.
This option is suitable, where you are working with another healthcare provider, to improve your overall health.
It is my experience that histamine intolerance is a symptom of an underlying malfunction that can often be identified through lab testing.
Dietary modifications, however, can play an important role in the short-term.
I am not a medical practitioner and I do not provide medical advice.
My role is to bridge the gap between your doctor (who provides medical advice on diseases) and your health challenges (by supporting you in self-care).
I encourage all my clients to have a medical practitioner.
The way I work is fundamentally different to that of many other practitioners.
Whilst I do work with other practitioners, I only do so if that practitioner is willing to case manage your care with me, and works in a compatible way.
My supplement protocols should not be mixed with those of other practitioners, and I cannot guarantee the supplement protocols of other practitioners will achieve the same results.
Every client is different and the body heals at its own pace.
How quickly your body heals depends on you. Your dietary and lifestyle choices can either support or sabotage your health.
We also did not get sick overnight and full results will not be felt immediately.
Typically, subtle improvements are felt after a month or so, and things continue to gradually improve from there. Within 3 months my aim is to ensure that you have a proven plan that you can continue to implement.
When there are GI infections, it frequently takes longer, and as a general rule 12 months to 2 years. This is because we first need to address the infection and then heal the physiological damaged it has caused.
For long-standing health challenges, the general rule of thumb is 1 – 3 months of healing for every year of ill-health.
I do not accept insurance billing.
I can however provide you with an invoice/statement for your records.
Depending upon your type of insurance you may be able to claim a reimbursement, and/or a tax deduction.
The insurance system is designed to manage medical emergencies. It is not designed to promote health.
I would encourage you to not look solely at insurance costs alone.
Many of my clients, when they take into account their medical out of pockets, trial and error of supplements and cost of massages, designer coffees, and sick days cannot justify not hiring me.
This is also one-off cost, not an ongoing cost.
Many of my clients have a cupboard full of supplements that have not worked for them.
My aim is to stop the cycle of trial and error of supplements by using products that have already been successful.
I strongly recommend that you do not purchase supplements other than those that I recommend.
I am not a licensed medical practitioner and do not handle acute, serious medical conditions, and therefore recommend you see a licensed medical doctor.
I also often refer out clients with the following:
- Severe mood disorders (anxiety, depression, panic attacks). I suggest you look into the work of Kelly Brogan or Trudy Scott.
- Children under the age of 18 years old. I suggest you look for a pediatric functional medicine practitioner.
- Individuals on extensive prescription medications for a diagnosed medical condition(s) unless co-managed with your doctor.
- Individuals who have an unstable serious medical condition. I suggest that you look for a functional medicine practitioner.
I also do not work with clients who are not committed to improving their health and who are not willing to:
- Change their diet (such as go on a 100% gluten-free diet for at least 3 months, possibly remove dairy and/or other pro-inflammatory foods, and eat animal protein).
- Consistently take supplements (2-3 times per day).
- Commit to retesting on completion of treatment (to ensure issues have resolved).
- Prioritize lifestyle changes (work on reducing sources of stress, exercise in a manner that doesn't stress the adrenals, and focusing on quality rest).
- Put their health and wellness first.
My approach is not for you if you are looking for a “quick fix” or a “magic pill” or “emotional support” to simply relieve your symptoms.
Prior to accepting a new client, I request that you fill out a new client form, and schedule a FREE 15-minute appointment.
I will contact you to let you know if we believe we would be the best option for helping you improve your health.
For some individuals, I may refer you out to a practitioner we think may be able to better assist you, such as a licensed functional medicine doctor or a specialist.
Please note that during this appointment I can answer general questions about who I am, what I offer, and if I think my services might be right for you, but cannot answer specific questions relating to lab tests you have done or provide recommendations regarding your health concerns.